Luckily for you lovely lot, ‘here’s one I made earlier’!
I don’t know about you, but I spend a fortune on vanilla extract from the supermarket or at online stores – a bit of a perfectionist, I always look for quality and choose extract over ‘Vanilla Flavourings’ as these lack a full flavour and aroma.
Besides, the more natural the better, right?
One off my ‘To Do’ list (the one I’m clearly ignoring when I think of new things to do or bake!) I’m happy to get another item ticked off the list and this recipe couldn’t be simpler!
Just two ingredients – Vodka & Vanilla Beans! Perfection in a bottle!……With a little patience 😉
- Bottle – I used a 1ltr Kilner bottle
- Vanilla Beans – (rule of thumb is 4-5 beans per 8 ounces of alcohol)
- Vodka – (at least 80 proof)
1. Split the vanilla beans. Slice each vanilla bean in half lengthwise. I used these Madagascan Vanilla Beans
4. Store your newly created vanilla extract in a dark place for at least 2 months, shaking it from time to time. After a few days the mixture will start to darken as the vanilla infuses with the vodka. Taste the extract and let it infuse longer if you prefer a stronger flavour
Tip: You may wish to use the vanilla extract as a gift and decant some of the extract into pretty bottles. The seeds can add more of a homemade touch, but if you want a clear extract you can strain the extract using a coffee filter or some cheese cloth
You can keep the vanilla beans in the bottle and top up as and when required, ensuring that you periodically refresh the vanilla beans to keep the flavour strong.