That, ladies and gentlemen, is an all natural coloured blueberry glaze. Allllllll natural…!
I baked this little beauty on a hot sunny day last August. It followed on from the success of the gin cake….i’m obsessed with bundt tins! I really loved making this cake, it was easy to make and easy on the eye! Tasted pretty damn good too!
For the cake:
255g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large free range eggs
270g golden caster sugar
2 over ripe bananas (mashed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
120ml corn oil
285g of blueberries
100g toasted coconut, (Optional: plus 50g more for sprinkling on top)
To make blueberry glaze:
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
450g icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 175c (350f) and lightly grease your bundt pan with butter before dusting with flour.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set to one side.
3. In a separate bowl, cream your eggs and sugar until light and fluffy!
Tip: Don’t skimp on this part!
4. Add in the mashed bananas, vanilla extract and oil and mix until well combined.
5. Pour the cake batter in to your bundt tin.
Tip: The batter will seem very thick and gloopy – its ok!
6. Bake the cake for round an hour (start checking after 45 minutes). The cake will be ready when an inserted skewer comes out clean and free of cake batter.
7. Set your cake aside to cool completely
8. To make the blueberry glaze: Place the blueberries, water and caster sugar in to a pan and heat until the mixture boils and the blueberries burst.
9. Remove from the heat and push the mixture through a sieve; set aside to cool.
10. Once the blueberry mixture has cooled, sift in the icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
Tip: If the glaze is too thick, add a tbs of water at a time to achieve a pouring consistency.
11. Pour the glaze on top of you Banana, blueberry and coconut cake and sprinkle with left over coconut!
Love S & P xx